Tenant Resources & Information

Helpful information for all our tenants.

Arrears Process

Q Realty has a streamlined arrears process in place to help both tenants & landlords.

  • 4-7 Days in Arrears – Expect to receive an SMS/Phone Call
  •  8 Days – A FORM 11 – Notice of Remedy Breach will be issued by email & post. This gives you a certain time frame to remedy the breach to avoid further action being taken.
  • Expiry of FORM 11 – If you fail to remedy the breach by the expiry date, the landlord may instruct us to issue the tenant a FORM 12 – Notice to Leave. By this point, rent must be paid back in advance before we can ask the landlord to consider revoking this notice

This process must be undertaken to satisfy the requirements of the landlord’s insurance policy.

Repeated Breaches for Rent

If you receive more than 2 breaches for the same reason in a short period of time and remedy them by the expiry date, the landlord pay instructs Q Realty to lodge paperwork with QCAT to have the tenancy terminated under Repeated Breaches for Rental Arrears. More information can be found here: https://www.rta.q1d.gov.au/Renting/Ending-a-tenancy/Ending-a-tenancy-agreement/Repeated-breaches-of-an-agreement

Payment Plans

We encourage our tenants to be upfront & transparent about their situation if their financial circumstances change. We understand that unforeseen situations can arise and where possible, you can discuss a setting up a payment plan/proposal with your Property Manager. Please email rent@cirealty.com.au or contact the Accounts department on 0429 354 093.

Excessive Hardship

We understand that unforeseen situations may arise which may cause excessive hardship. We encourage you to contact your Property Manager to discuss the situation immediately and we will do our best to work together to find a solution.

More information can be found on the following RTA factsheet: https://www.rta.q1d.gov.au/Renting/Ending-a-tenancy/Ending-a-tenancy-agreement/Excessive-hardship

Covid-19 Rental Payments

The Queensland Government has introduced new laws for tenants and property owners affected by COVID-19. The temporary changes -which are effective from 29th March 2020 until 31st December 2020 – are designed to keep people safe and in their homes and to help protect property owners’ investments during the COVID-19 emergency period.

We encourage any tenant’s where their income has been significantly affected and are unable to continue paying the full weekly rent to contact ur office to discuss the next step in this process.

More information can be found on RTA below link: https://www.rta.cild.gov.au/Renting/COVID19-Changes

Covid-19 Entering a Property

Ensuring the health and safety of tenants, property owners and managers is a priority during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Queensland Government has introduced new laws that ensure properties can still be looked after and tenants, property owners and managers can stay healthy and safe.
During this time, it’s important that tenants, property owners and managers work together so we can make renting work for everyone.

More information can be found on this link: https://www.rta.q1d.gov.au/Renting/COVID19-Changes/Entering-a-property

Covid-19 Domestic Violence

Every person has the right to feel safe and live free from violence. Which is why ending domestic and family violence is a community responsibility. The Queensland Government has made changes to give tenants experiencing domestic and family violence more options to manage their tenancy arrangements and enact plans to end the violence during the COVID-19 emergency period.

More information can be found on this RTA link: https://www.rta.q1d.gov.au/Renting/COVID19-Changes/Domestic-and-family-violence

Water Repayments

In Queensland, water bills remain in the landlord’s name and are billed quarterly. The landlord will pay the supplier by the due date and then pass a copy of the bill onto Q Realty to calculate charges to the tenant. The tenant must be given 1 month to reimburse the landlord, and payment can be made into the same trust account that you pay your rent into. DO NOT pay the supplier directly. Please ensure you reference your full name or address plus “WATER” on your payment. For e.g. “1 SMITH WATER”

To pass on full water consumption the property must be:

  • Individually metered
  • Water-efficient
  • It must be written into the tenancy agreement that the tenant is to pay for water consumption

We recommend that tenant’s conduct regular checks on internal/external taps, shower heads, toilets & the hot water system for potential leaks which may be causing excessive usage and report any faults to Q Realty immediately.

Tenant Insurance

Landlord’s insurance does not cover the tenant’s belongings in the event that there is a robbery or accidental damages. That is why it is important that tenants consider Content’s Insurance and/or Tenant/Renter’s Insurance. It is important to read the Product Disclosure Statement before deciding on taking out a policy to ensure if fits your individual needs.

Noise Complaints

A tenant is required to respect their neighbours’ right to peace, comfort and privacy.
If a neighbour believes the tenant is interfering with their quiet enjoyment of their home they may speak to the property manager/owner.
If a neighbour complains, the property manager/owner may want to address the issue with the tenant.
If a tenant or neighbour has attempted to discuss their concerns and it continues, the following links may offer further assistance:

  • Local government investigates complaints relating to residential properties (e.g. dogs barking and excessive noise from air conditioners)
  • Local police can act on complaints about excessive noise and bad behaviour, and complaints such as dangerous driving
  • Dispute Resolution Centres offer free mediation services to help manage neighbourhood disputes without going to court